Before assessing the impact of the promised U.S. tariffs, it is important to first wait for a joint position from the European Union (EU), said Latvian President Edgars Rinkēvičs following a meeting with Prime Minister Evika Siliņa (New Unity) at the Riga Castle on Monday.
U.S. President Donald Trump has declared on the 2nd of April as “Liberation Day,” on which he plans to announce tariffs aimed at countering what his administration views as unfair trade practices.
“Today, the situation regarding the possible U.S. tariffs—expected not only against Europe but also other countries—might become clearer. The Prime Minister and I discussed the potential impact on Latvia’s economy,” Rinkēvičs said.
He explained that there are certain goods and services Latvia imports from or exports to the United States. Rinkēvičs emphasized that Latvia is part of the EU, and underlined that foreign economic policy is currently as important as foreign security policy.
Prime Minister Siliņa noted that she and the President discussed current EU issues, and that announcements regarding the tariffs are expected later in the evening. She emphasized the need to see the full picture.
She also mentioned that Europe is discussing the EU’s readiness to respond, but any reaction will be balanced—understanding that this is a very relevant issue for Latvian businesses.
Latvia will coordinate with the European Commission (EC), which will be responsible for formulating the EU’s response. The full impact of the U.S. tariffs on the Latvian market is still unknown, and the government awaits official announcements from the White House, Siliņa said.
During their meeting, the Prime Minister also briefed the President on the discussions held at the Council on Demographic Affairs. Rinkēvičs noted that the issues align with topics previously addressed at the Riga Castle with demographic experts and policymakers.
“The direction and approach are correct. We talked about improving access to healthcare services and tackling issues related to housing availability,” the President said.
He acknowledged that a broader discussion about funding will be unavoidable—particularly regarding increases to certain social benefits. He added that this topic will be discussed in May within both the government and the Demographic Affairs Council. The President confirmed he will continue to monitor these matters, which are also regularly addressed with responsible ministers and the Prime Minister.
As previously reported, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen stated on Tuesday that the EU still hopes to reach a diplomatic resolution regarding the expected U.S. tariffs but is prepared to take countermeasures if necessary.
Speaking at the European Parliament, von der Leyen stressed that Europe is open to dialogue but has a strong plan in place should retaliation be required. She emphasized that the U.S. announcement would be carefully evaluated and that coordination among EU leaders is ongoing.
“Europe did not start this confrontation. Our goal is a diplomatic solution. However, if needed, we will defend our interests, our people, and our businesses,” von der Leyen said, highlighting that Europe will respond in a united and determined way.