At least 18 people have been killed and 19 injured in the fires that continue to rage in the south-east of the South Korea, according to the latest figures from the country’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Security. More than 23 000 people have been evacuated, and several heritage sites have been damaged, including a 1 300-year-old Buddhist temple destroyed, on Wednesday, the 26th of March, reports the British broadcaster BBC.
The “unprecedented” crisis remains critical, according to acting President Han Duck-soo, who said the fires “rewrite the record for the worst forest fires in our country’s history”.
Thousands of firefighters and 5 000 soldiers are working to control the fires and are being assisted by US military helicopters in Korea. A firefighting helicopter crashed in the mountains of Uiseong County on Wednesday, according to authorities investigating the cause of the incident.
The national firefighting agency said on Tuesday that it had assigned the highest fire response level to the crisis. Wildfires are relatively rare in South Korea and have already become the deadliest in the country’s history, killing at least 18 and destroying some 17 000 hectares of forest.
Authorities said the fires destroyed a historic Buddhist temple built in 618 AD and a Buddhist architectural structure considered a national treasure from the Joseon Dynasty was also lost.
1000 year old Temple consumed by wildfire
Thousand-year-old Unramsa Temple on Cheondeungsan Mountain South Korea, was completely destroyed by a forest fire yesterday. It quickly spread due to strong winds, burning down both the main building and its outbuildings.
“Before the… pic.twitter.com/X5Bk6aTjUy
— Volcaholic 🌋 (@volcaholic1) March 23, 2025
❗️🇰🇷 – At least 16 people have died in wildfires across South Korea as of March 25, 2025.
A massive fire that started in Uiseong, North Gyeongsang Province, has been spreading for four days, reaching Andong, Cheongsong, Juwangsan National Park, Yeongyang, and Yeongdeok.
The… pic.twitter.com/2PfbUdhwu6
— 🔥🗞The Informant (@theinformant_x) March 25, 2025
Acting President Han said that all available personnel and equipment had been deployed, but strong winds were still hampering rescue efforts and hoped it would rain soon.
According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, no rain is forecast in the region on Wednesday and only light precipitation is expected on Thursday.
The weather in South Korea is drier than usual and rainfall is below average. So far this year, 244 fires have broken out, 2.4 times more than in the same period last year.
Han said the government will carefully review any shortcomings in the response to the wildfires once the crisis is under control and will seek to improve prevention strategies to prevent future tragedies.
The government also promised to step up the fight against illegal burning, one of the main causes of forest fires, and to combat individual negligence.
The forest fires broke out last Friday in Sancheong County in the south-east of the country, but have now spread to the neighbouring towns of Uiseong, Andong, Cheongsong, Yeongyang and Yeongdeok.