The Constitutional Court on Friday, the 4th of April, unanimously removed South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol from office, upholding the parliamentary impeachment for the imposition of martial law last year, which triggered the worst political crisis in decades, according to Reuters.
Under the constitution, presidential elections must be held within 60 days and Prime Minister Han Duck-soo will continue as president until a new president is inaugurated.
Acting Supreme Court Chief Justice Moon Hyung-bae said that Yoon had violated his presidential powers by declaring martial law on the 3rd of December, thus “seriously undermining democracy”.
“(Yoon) committed a grave betrayal of the people’s trust,” Moon said, adding that Yoon’s declaration of martial law created chaos in the areas of society, the economy and foreign policy.
The court rejected Yoon’s claim that he declared martial law to warn of opposition action and said legal options were available. Judge Moon said that the order had no justification, was flawed and the use of the army against Parliament violated Yoon’s duty to protect the balance of government.
Thousands of people at the rally calling for Yoon’s impeachment, including hundreds who had camped out overnight, cheered when they heard the verdict, shouting “We won!”.
Yoon’s supporters watched the verdict in shocked silence not far from his residence. Some were angry – according to Yonhap, one man was arrested for breaking the window of a police bus. Others held their heads and cried.
The presidential flag, which flew alongside the national flag outside the presidential office, was lowered on Friday after the verdict. Portraits of Yoon will be removed at military bases and command centres across the country to be destroyed in accordance with the law.
One of Yoon’s lawyers said the court’s decision was legally unjustified and the process was conducted in a questionable manner.
Yoon has not come out of his official residence, where he has been staying since his release from prison on the 8th of March.
Yoon, 64, is still being prosecuted for insurrection in connection with the martial law order he issued, for which he could face life imprisonment or even the death penalty. He was the first South Korean President to be arrested. The trial will start on the 14th of April.
The crisis began when Yoon suddenly declared martial law at night, claiming it was to fight “anti-government” forces and stop the opposition from taking power. Six hours later, he lifted the order after parliamentary staff prevented soldiers from breaking into the parliament building. Yoon said he had never wanted to impose full martial law and pointed out that no one was hurt.
Acting President Han Duck-soo, speaking after the verdict, said he would do his utmost to ensure a peaceful and orderly presidential election.
South Korean President Yoon removed from office, elections expected
